The history of
St Annes

St Annes Anglican Church Ryde is the third oldest Anglican Church in Australia. The history of Ryde has long been associated with St Annes.

The nave of St Annes was originally a schoolhouse which was built in 1826. In 1838 another schoolhouse was built on the corner of Victoria Rd and Belmore Streets allowing the original building to become St Annes Church. A Chancel and Bell Tower were added and the building was consecrated by Bishop Barker in 1870.

By the turn of the century a complex of civic buildings existed on the present Church St block including the Post Office, Court House and Registry Office. Of these only the Court House remains.

The Centenary Memorial Hall built in the 1920s to accommodate the growing number of Sunday School children was demolished in 1999 to make way for the Ryde Anglican Centre.

More information

The book “The Church on the Hill” written by Mavis and J Ernest Benson provides a comprehensive history of St Annes, and is available from the Church Office.

The Local Studies section of Ryde Library has the St Annes records for:

  • Baptisms 1826-1942
  • Marriages 1826-1953
  • Burials 1826-1913

PDF downloads